WHAT IS DHAI:
Dental Hygiene Associates, Inc. (DHAI) is the non-profit 501(c)(3) foundation for CDHA; all donations are tax deductible.
PURPOSE and GOALS:
The most current objective is raising funds for dental hygiene student scholarships. DHAI plans to fund future scholarships for dental hygienists to advance their educational goals. DHAI also serves as a grant administrator for hygienists and components.
- To increase public access to quality dental hygiene and preventive services by licensed dental hygienists.
- To encourage and promote professional advancement through scholarship and quality research, in collaboration with CDHA.
- To broaden the capabilities of dental hygienists, thereby strengthening health manpower resources and creating alternate employment opportunities for licensed dental hygienists.
- To solicit and receive donations for scholarships and for the support of dental hygiene research promoting public welfare.
- Act as an organization according to IRS Code Section 501( c)(3) and to operate as a subsidiary organization of CDHA according to IRS Code Section 501 (c)( 3).
- Promote community-based interventions and prevention of oral disease toward advancement of oral health.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
The Board consists of the CDHA Immediate Past President, the CDHA Secretary/Treasurer and three CDHA members at large, whom are appointed by the CDHA President. The elected CDHA officers shall serve with their term as officers of CDHA until their successors are elected and qualified. The three members at large shall each serve a three year term, non-concurrently.
Lygia Jolley, Chair
Lisa Okamoto, Member at Large
Dani Ieremia, Member at Large
Carrie Sharp, Member at Large
Yvette Warren, Chief Financial Officer
Lygia Jolley, CDHA Immediate Past President
Julie Coan, CDHA President, Ex-Officio
Vickie Kimbrough, RDH, MBA, PhD, Secretary, Ex-Officio
CORA UELAND SCHOLARSHIP FOR CALIFORNIA DENTAL HYGIENE STUDENTS:
Cora Ueland was founder and first director of the USC Dental Hygiene Program. She was director for 28 years, 1928-1956. Ms. Ueland received her dental hygiene certificate in 1920 from the University of Minnesota. She went on to earn her Master’s Degree from USC.
During her tenure at USC she served as ADHA President from 1929-30. During her Presidential Address at the 1930 ADHA Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado, she challenged the attending educators to “produce women who can educate and think in terms of highest service and that education is not a static thing, but is ever changing to meet the requirements of the people.” Her address further stated, “that we urge members of our profession everywhere that ours is a needed and important profession, and that our responsibility is as great as that of any other line of human endeavor.”
It was during her time at USC the Cora Ueland Loan Program was created for students to assist them in times of financial need. This loan program was transferred to CDHA and subsequently became a scholarship program which continues to this day.
To carry on the goal of Cora Ueland to support and encourage dental hygiene students DHAI actively promotes and requests donations from anyone interested in dental hygiene students and education.
2018 Cora Ueland Scholarship Applications
Dental Hygiene Associates Incorporated (DHAI), a nonprofit corporation created in 1980 by the California Dental Hygienists’ Association is pleased to announce the 2018 Cora Ueland Scholarship for dental hygiene students. This scholarship was first established in the 1950s in the memory of Cora Ueland, founder and director of the dental hygiene program at the University of Southern California. Supported by individual and component donations, the fund was distributed in the past as a loan to eligible students. In 1998, the CDHA Board of Trustees voted to convert the loan into a scholarship. Two $1,000 awards are awarded each year to one (1) first year and one (1) second year student. The second year scholarship award includes a DHAI grant for CDHA New Professional Membership.
– Student must be a Student Member of the California Dental Hygienists’ Association and have paid the 2018 student fees.
– Student must be enrolled in an accredited dental hygiene program in California.
– Student must have a grade point average of 3.0 or above (4.0 scale) from the time that they have been enrolled in the dental hygiene curriculum.
– Recipients cannot be DHAI Directors, CDHA Officers, Trustees, employees or any of their relatives.
– Student must be a Junior or Senior on the deadline date and this is the category they can apply for and be judged. They cannot be a graduated student on the deadline date and apply for the scholarship.
Complete and submit the scholarship Application and Program Director Verification Form, along with the required essays, by March 1, 2018 via e-mail to Carrie Sharp, RDH, at email@example.com. Please refer to the Application form for specific details, qualifications and criteria for submission.
Scholarship award recipients will be notified by e-mail no later than May 1, 2018.
Cora Ueland Winners 2017
Valerie Hernandez Blouin Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry USC
Allison Yochim University of the Pacific
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Donations are tax deductible and can be made anytime.
Please make donations by check payable to DHAI
Dental Hygiene Associates, Inc.
1900 Point West Way, Suite 222
Sacramento, CA 95815-4706
Or you can make a donation by credit card by calling us at 916-993-9102.